This is one item we could not be more excited about bringing to our customers. Since our first sale in 1989, multitudes of customers have, over the decades, asked where they could obtain a good copy of the iconic USAAF A-11 Navigation Watch to wear with their flying jacket purchases from us, but there were simply no really good copies of this watch that could match the pedigree of the goods we sell. At long last, for all of those who have asked about really nice copies of the iconic A-11 Navigation Watches with mechanical movements, your deliverance has finally arrived!
The original WWII A-11 Navigation Watches were produced in hundreds of thousands during WWII and were the standard timepieces issued to pilots, bombardiers, and navigators, and the most perfect companion for a WWII-style flying jacket. WWII A-11's were made by Bulova, Elgin, and Waltham and had 15-jewel mechanical movements, with each maker producing subtle differences between their styles in such areas as the dial, hands, case, etc.
Buzz Rickson's, in conjunction with watch masters in Japan have now produced the most authentic A-11 Navigation Watch available in the world today, which beautifully copies an Elgin-made example from 1941. Almost everything had to be custom made at great expense in small quantities (this is a limited edition of only 500 pieces) to match the original Elgin watch used as the basis for this project.
There have been a few upgrades to this A-11 copy: increasing the jewels to 21 vs. 15 jewels of the original A-11 is an improvement that provides greater longevity and accuracy, and the use of a mineral crystal vs. the glass crystals of the original A-11 provides for greater longevity as the original glass crystals were very prone to scratches, chipping, and cracking.
This Buzz Rickson A-11 Navigation Watch will serve you as faithfully as those brave airman did the USAAF in WWII. Please note the features that come with this A-11 Navigation Watch:
• Clone-like black watch dial with luminous numbers that matches those found on Elgin A-11's
• Clone-like luminous hands, including sweep second hand, that match those found on Elgin A-11's
• Nickel-plated watch case that matches the finish, design, and style of those found on Elgin-made watches of this contract (case diameter is 1.25") and includes the same typeface and stamping style on the back as found on Elgin A-11's of this contract
• 21-jewel mechanical automatic watch movement. The movement will run for approximately 40 hours if wound 30 times; wearing the watch for 8 hours a day every day should preclude the need to set the time again or wind it unless you need to change the time.
Water resistant (it's okay if the watch gets a little wet doing chores, but this is not a waterproof diving watch and is not intended for submersing in water or other liquids)
• Mineral crystal glass
• Shock resistant
• Clone-like copy of the issue-style cotton watch strap in Olive Drab shade 3 and sewn with cotton thread and outfitted with a nickel-plated buckle
• Vintage-style watch box with A-11 nomenclature corresponding to an Elgin-made A-11 of this contract
• Limited edition of 500 pieces worldwide
Imported from Japan