This classic, vintage-style, half-zip sweatshirt was copied directly from a vintage original- every detail has been replicated exactly. This has been the most technically involved project coming out of the ELMC textile range of products, with two years of research and development invested. Three different textile mills were involved in creating the fabric, each specializing in particular component of this loop-wheeled sweatshirt: body fabric, cuff ribbing, and collars.
Vintage sweatshirts were manufactured to a standard back in their era that was very much the norm, utilizing circular tube-knitting machines that produced shirts with a perfect tube body and no side seams. Tube-knitting machines can only weave one set diameter per loom; this means the factory needs a different loom for each size - very expensive - which is why you hardly ever see true tube construction in modern-day garments. Even the most expensive designer sweatshirts will usually have a side seam - sometimes two seams! Tube construction ensures true shape is maintained, not only during its construction, but during its life of wear. This is the proper way to make a sweatshirt; in the good old days, the proper way was the only way. It's cheap and easy to make shirts from a flat piece of cloth, and most customers would never notice the difference, though they may wonder why their not-so-cheap sweatshirt seemed to lose its shape after only a few washes - but now you know.
Japan is home to the masters of tube-knitting and we enlisted the great John Lofgren, master of vintage American clothing, to help bring this shirt to its insane levels of vintage perfection. Of course, all of the vintage, high-quality detailing has been deftly copied; please note the authentic detailing:
- This vintage-style sweatshirt’s body was woven on vintage circular, loop-wheeling, knitting machines – there are no side seams
- Vintage-style metal zipper created by ELMC, choosing the perfect vintage style tape, teeth, top and bottom stoppers, and slider, then finishing it off with a custom-branded ELMC pull - all made in Japan
- Custom-made knitted collar - splay cut
- The fabrics are dyed in Yamagata and sewn in Iwate, then the shirts are sent to southern Japan for a subtle ageing process; this requires each shirt to be worked on one-by-one to achieve the perfect, subdued aesthetic – all very costly
- Black rayon trim to zip and rear of collar
- All-cotton thread used throughout construction
- Set-in sleeves
- Exact copy of the original-style, printed-on-cotton labels
- True vintage fit for flattering appearance, not a sloppy, relaxed fit with droopy shoulder seams
Take a bite of old-time machismo and see how true sweatshirts used to look and feel.
Limited quantities available. Sizes: 36 - 44. Please see our SIZING TIPS for advice on how to get the correct fit.
Imported from Japan
Click for Information and Photos