ORDERING & SALES TERMS
The Purchaser agrees to indemnify us against any claims, losses, liabilities, damages and expenses (including legal fees), arising from Purchaser’s use of this web site.
The contract between Purchaser and Merchant is governed exclusively by the laws of the State of New Jersey in the United States of America. The Purchaser consents to the exclusive jurisdiction in the Superior Court of New Jersey in the county of Camden and agrees that no other territories have proper jurisdiction.
The color of merchandise may vary slightly from that shown on the website due to limitations of browser software and monitors, in addition to the natural fluctuations that exist from one dye lot to the next relevant to the inherent properties affecting color in fabrics or leather types. We guarantee the merchandise you receive will be authentic in its color.
General Ordering Advice
Please never assume anything and please feel free to ask any and all relevant questions; we are here to help and enlighten you about everything we offer and do. It is always a good idea to inquire as to size and/or product availability before ordering. An informed buyer is always more likely to be pleased with a purchase and related service than a passive buyer. Good communication is essential for a happy business relationship; the more we can learn about a customer's preferences, expectations and taste, the better we are able to direct them to the correct purchase. When making purchases, all the homework should be done up front, thus the delivery to the customer of the final purchase has the least chance to disappoint.
Though it is sometimes natural to decide to alter or modify an order after it has been placed, any changes to orders, particularly for items not in stock, only serve to increase the risk for error and confusion; we will gladly do our best to facilitate changes to an order after it has been placed, but please note that this does greatly increase the possibilities for mistakes. Generally, items not in stock are ordered within 24-48 hours from a customer's finalization of the order, thus changes made to an order after it is finalized and in the system may not always be possible. Last-minute changes of shipping details can also be a cause for errors; though we will be happy to accommodate your shipping requests, changes, particularly those requested just before shipping, create situations that are more prone to confusion. No changes or cancellations to the actual merchandise ordered will be accepted within 48 hours from time and date of order placement.
By following the advice above, our experience shows that a customer's order will be as close to problem-free as we can hope.
How to Order
Orders can be placed via our online shopping cart on this website, or they can be phoned, faxed, or mailed to us. Footwear can ONLY be ordered by contacting us directly; it cannot be purchased via our online shopping cart.
There is a “notes” section in the checkout process of our online shopping cart that allows you to provide any type of notation regarding size, shipping information, etc.
Special & Custom Orders
Items not normally sold and/or illustrated on our web site and/or that are not part of our regular regular stock inventory (items that require ordering from the supplier including but not limited to: styles, sizes, features, colors, insignia, name tags, paintings, artwork, and/or options) cannot be cancelled later than 48 hours after the order has been placed unless we agree to this in writing. Special Order sizes include the following: Trousers and/or jeans smaller than size 29 waist, jackets and/or shirts smaller than chest size 38/Medium (unless in our immediate stock), and long and extra-long jacket fittings by Eastman Leather Clothing, Ltd. (unless in our immediate stock).
All special and custom orders must be paid in full at the time the order is placed unless authorized by us in writing to the contrary. Special and Custom Orders are not returnable for refund or exchange unless received as damaged or faulty, as solely determined by this company.
Size and item availability should be established first before ordering. Each garment has unique pages dedicated to providing information about the fit, the actual garment measurements, how we derived the measurements, and tips as to how the garment fits and what size to order; these pages are found under their respective topic tabs above each individual garment. Please ALWAYS follow the instructions found under the tab entitled SIZING TIPS and do NOT attempt to simply guess at your size.
We are always ready to assist in your order and happy to answer any questions regarding product fit. If you have questions or want sizing recommendations, please phone, fax or e-mail us and we’ll be happy to work with you in this regard. When contacting us for sizing advice, please always have available the basic information we request as listed under the tab entitled BODY MEASURING.
Please note that when ordering select gloves on this web site, we request that you provide us your actual hand measurement from the drop-down menu of our shopping cart, in addition to providing any input about the fit you wish in the “notes” section of the checkout process of our online shopping cart.
We accept the following payment forms: American Express, Discover, MasterCard & Visa. Personal checks, bank checks, money orders, traveler checks, Western Union, and bank wires to our bank account. All payments must be in U. S. funds and drawn on major U. S. banks. Payments should be payable to:
History Preservation Associates.
If paying by personal check, bank check, or money order, please note the following:
U. S. Postal Service money orders clear immediately like cash. All other checks and money orders require ten (10) business days from the date of their deposit in our bank to fully clear. No merchandise will be shipped until a check/money order is fully cleared.
By making payment to us for merchandise, you are agreeing to all of our Ordering & Sales Terms outlined on this page.
Perfect for gifts when the decision between product and/or size offerings is best left to the recipient. Our gift certificates are always available for immediate shipment anywhere in the world, and they are valid for full the purchase amount for two (2) years from the original purchase date stated on the gift certificate.
Shipping in the USA
- All shipments are sent with full insurance and no exceptions will be made if requested otherwise.
- UPS Ground is our shipping carrier of default for all shipments within the 48 contiguous U. S. states, which is due to the high reliability and care this shipping company provides versus USPS. UPS Ground is a guaranteed service except during the Christmas season (the exclusionary dates for which are posted on the UPS website each year).
- Beginning January 1, 2015, UPS and Fed Ex now employ dimensional pricing for all Ground shipments other than envelopes (the size of the shipping box will determine the weight of the package unless the package weighs more than its dimensional weight), which means that shipping costs have risen dramatically in many shipping scenarios; by comparison, the USPS Priority Mail service (NOT a guaranteed service) employs dimensional rates for half of the USA, and USPS Priority Mail Express (a guaranteed service) bases its pricing by true weight of the package. However, we receive discounted rates from UPS but none from USPS, and we pass on the UPS discounts to our customers, thus UPS rates are very often better than any rates we may get from USPS and the service from UPS is, invariably, much more reliable and our shipments are treated with greater care. We employ four different packaging sizes, three of which are custom made for us, and all of which are carefully selected to provide the greatest economy to our customers and safe, secure delivery of their purchase(s); we don’t simply shove as much as we can in the smallest box without any thought given to a professional presentation balanced against the greatest economy. Our packaging solutions are engineered to withstand severe damage and provide, in the vast majority of instances, a perfectly reusable shipping box that will facilitate adequate protection of merchandise for the customer in the event a return is required.
- Ordering multiple items and/or shipping to Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and other parts of the USA other than the contiguous 48 U. S. states: Our online shopping cart provides a flat-rate shipping price via UPS Ground insured to any of the 48 contiguous U. S. states for just one item of the type you see listed on each product page. If you wish to ship to a U. S. destination other than one of the contiguous 48 states and/or wish to order additional items of the same or differing type, we combine shipping costs and we employ the most economical box size that will yield the lowest rate for our customers while still providing a well-protected product delivery. The combined shipping costs will always be less than the cost to ship any total group of items using the flat rates listed for each product unless, for example, someone is ordering, say, three jackets and these must each ship in their own separate boxes because they cannot be combined in one or two boxes. When it comes to shipping costs, you have two options for completing checkout using the online sopping cart:
- Shipping inside the contiguous 48 states: Complete your checkout knowing you will not be charged more than the combined flat rates listed on the website for the multiple items and that, in almost all instances, you will be charged less than the combined flat rates for all items in your cart and that we lack the ability to see your credit card information and cannot ever charge you more than the price displayed in your cart. Your credit card is NOT automatically charged when you complete checkout and we perform a manual finalization of the sale that allows us to charge less than the displayed amount in your cart, though we cannot see your credit card information. You will receive your paid receipt via e-mail after we conclude your purchase, which will indicate the exact amount you paid for shipping and products.
- Calculating shipping at checkout: If you wish to know the actual cost of shipping before completing checkout, please contact us and note the items to be purchased with the complete shipping address, then we will respond with the actual shipping and insurance cost and you will also be given instruction where to insert this shipping price in the online shopping cart as part of checkout. If you alter your order in any way once we have provided you with the shipping and insurance costs, that shipping and insurance price will, in most instances, no longer be valid and you will need to contact us for a new quote for shipping and insurance. Your order will not be processed and you will be contacted if the merchandise you purchase does not correspond with the shipping price we provided you.
- Shipping to a U. S. destination outside the contiguous 48 states: We typically ship via USPS Priority Mail or Priority Express Mail, both of which will be fully insured via our private insurance carrier (we never make use of USPS insurance). Please contact us and note the items to be purchased with the complete shipping address, then we will respond with the actual shipping and insurance cost and you will also be given instruction where to insert this shipping price in the online shopping cart as part of checkout. If you alter your order in any way once we have provided you with the shipping and insurance costs, that shipping and insurance price will, in most instances, no longer be valid and you will need to contact us for a new quote for shipping and insurance. Your order will not be processed and you will be contacted if the merchandise you purchase does not correspond with the shipping price we provided you.
Expedited shipping is available by customer request and expedited shipping calculations in checkout will follow in the same manner as stated above in section 4b during checkout. We do NOT ship on the customer’s shipping account, so please do not ask for this accommodation.
Shipping Outside the USA
We ship to many countries worldwide; if your country doesn’t appear on the list at checkout, please contact us to inquire if it is possible to ship to your country.
Any taxes and/or customs duties and/or fees that may be levied against your merchandise purchase are solely the recipient’s responsibility to be aware of and for which to render payment. We are NOT responsible for knowing the applicable laws in the country of destination for the recipient’s shipment and we are not responsible for paying any taxes, fees and/or customs duties on the recipient’s behalf.
- No shipment will be sent outside the USA without insurance and tracking - NO exceptions will be made, so please do not ask. If we ship via USPS, all insurance is provided by our private insurance carrier and not USPS. We will not, under any circumstances, lower the value on customs declaration forms, so please do not ask.
- The U. S. Postal Service’s Priority Mail Express International is our shipping carrier of default for all shipments to destinations outside the USA, but we also offer UPS Ground (for Canada) and Air for international shipping. Please note that we will not ship via USPS Priority Mail International (this is not an express service and does not provide adequate tracking and security).
- International Ordering: Our online shopping cart provides a flat-rate shipping price via UPS Ground insured to any of the 48 contiguous U. S. states for just one item of the type you see listed on each product page. If you wish to order for international destinations, please first locate your country from the dropdown menu. If your country does not appear on this list, then you will need to contact us to see if we will possibly ship to your country. If your country does appear on this list, then contact us and note the item(s) you wish to purchase and your complete shipping address, then we will respond with the actual shipping and insurance cost and you will also be given instruction where to insert this shipping price in the online shopping cart as part of checkout. If you alter your order in any way once we have provided you with the shipping and insurance costs, that shipping and insurance price will, in most instances, no longer be valid and you will need to contact us for a new quote for shipping and insurance. Your order will not be processed and you will be contacted if the merchandise you purchase does not match the shipping price we provided you.
Express Shipping & Cutoff Times
We offer expedited shipping services from UPS and the U. S. Postal Service.
If you want the U. S. Postal Service to be your express carrier and the shipment is to be dispatched immediately, your order must be received no later than 3 PM Eastern Time for shipping the NEXT business day. All U. S. Postal Service shipments ship according to this policy, which is due to the early arrival time of our U. S. Postal Service Letter Carrier who picks up all USPS shipments.
If you want UPS to be your express carrier and the order is to be dispatched immediately, your order must be received no later than Twelve O’Clock PM (noon) Eastern Time for same-day shipping. Orders received after this time will ship the next business day.
Guaranteed Delivery Services in the USA
All UPS Ground, UPS 3-Day Select, UPS 2nd Day Air and UPS Next-Day services come with delivery guarantees, but you need to check your zip code with ups.com to determine how long it will take for you to receive your merchandise.
The U. S. Postal Service’s Priority Mail Express (formerly called Express Mail Service and not to be confused with their regular Priority Mail) is a guaranteed service in the USA, but you need to check your zip code with usps.com to determine how long it will take for you to receive your merchandise. The U. S. Postal Service’s Priority Mail is NOT a guaranteed service.
Guaranteed Delivery Services Outside the USA
UPS guarantees Ground delivery shipments to most of Canada, and Air shipments to many other countries, but you need to check your country of destination with ups.com to determine how long it will take for you to receive your merchandise. The U. S. Postal Service will guarantee Priority Mail Express International to select countries (not to be confused with Priority Mail International), but you need to check your country of destination with usps.com to determine how long it will take for you to receive your merchandise and if it is on the list of guaranteed delivery zones. The U. S. Postal Service’s Priority Mail International is NOT a guaranteed service and we do NOT offer this service option because it does not provide true tracking to destination and proper security.
Guaranteed delivery outside the USA is only a guarantee of arrival in the guaranteed destination and NOT a guarantee of actual delivery to the address you have indicated on the order, which is due to circumstances beyond the control of the shipping company, such as clearance through customs, etc.
Shipping companies will guarantee delivery of your shipment within the confines of certain limitations. Poor weather conditions or police actions are just two examples of circumstances that will void the guarantee from most shipping companies. If you believe you have a valid claim against one of our shipping companies for a delivery failure on their guarantee, you must contact us IMMEDIATELY; a timely claim is of vital importance, as most shipping companies have a narrow window within which we can file for a delivery guarantee claim. When your guarantee is deemed valid by the shipping company, you will receive a refund on the shipping portion of your charges ONLY. Insurance charges are NEVER refunded because insurance is a service you have received regardless of whether the shipment was delivered on schedule or not
Turnaround Time for Non-Express Orders
Please ask about delivery times when ordering, especially when ordering items not in stock, and always plan on ordering any item that is intended for a gift or special event well ahead of the needed date. We move merchandise from our stock to the customer as quickly as time allows; it is not in anyone’s interest to not ship customer merchandise in a timely manner. Depending on how busy we may be at any point in time, it can average between the same day and three (3) business days from the date your order is placed to ship merchandise that is in stock. The Christmas holiday and late-fall seasons create their own unique shipping demands and we go all out to process orders seven (7) days a week from early morning until late into the night, but there are moments when even such maximum efforts aren’t enough, so please understand that there may be times when several days will pass before your order can ship during these peak buying periods.
If you want the U. S. Postal Service to be your shipping carrier, even for Express Shipping, your order must be received no later than 3 PM Eastern Time for shipping the next business day. All U. S. Postal Service shipments ship according to this policy – there is no same-day shipping for U. S. Postal Service shipments, which is due to the early arrival time of our U. S. Postal Service Letter Carrier.
Stock Merchandise vs. Backorders
We are committed to maintaining an excellent stock supply of merchandise; however, there can always be some style or size that is currently not in stock, in addition to some select offerings from our suppliers that we do not stock. Typically, items not in our stock that need to be ordered generally take from 1-12 weeks to bring in, though, due to the highly specialized production on certain items, extended delivery times can sometimes be experienced; if this is the case with your order, we kindly ask for your patience and understanding.
We offer no guarantee of availability of any item and this electronic publication does not constitute an offer for sale.
Buzz Rickson, Sun Surf and certain Sugar Cane products are produced once per year, with many items derived from a production run that will only be a one-time offering; if we do not have a particular item in stock a customer is seeking from one of these brands, we will make every effort to obtain it for the customer, but the item(s) may not be available again until the next production run some months, or even a year later, or possibly never again if it is a one-time offering. We will always inform you of realistic delivery dates, as provided by our suppliers, when an item is not in stock.
Returns, Exchanges, Refunds & Fees
- The purchaser has seven (7) calendar days from receipt of merchandise (as determined by shipping company records) to inspect the merchandise and make a determination whether to keep or return the merchandise; after the inspection period lapses, all sales will be final unless prior agreement has been granted by the Merchant in writing. Furthermore, if the purchaser is making a purchase for a special event such as a birthday, holiday, anniversary, etc., the purchaser must notify us before or at the time of purchase so we may extend the inspection period to coincide with the purchaser’s event needs. All standard stock items and styles in stock sizes purchased between December 7 – December 24 in the same calendar year automatically come with an inspection period extended until January 15 of the following new calendar year.
- You must notify us of items being returned for exchange or refund no later than the 7th day of your receipt of merchandise to receive a Return Authorization (RA), and the merchandise must be returned to us within 8 calendar days from that date of your notification if you are in the USA. If you are outside the USA, you have the same 7-day inspection period, but your merchandise being returned must reach us within 16 calendar days from the 7th day of your inspection period. Documented errors and delivery failures made by the shipping carrier will not be held against the customer making the return. Extended inspection periods may be granted upon request if the customer contacts us within the inspection period and we agree to the extension in writing. You must make more than one attempt on more than just one day to contact us to obtain a Return Authorization (RA) if the first attempt at contact is not successful and you must employ telephone communication during listed business hours on the Merchant's website and not exclusively rely on electronic methods of communication commonly known as e-mail/email should we not be reachable via e-mail/email, which is because e-mail is not 100% reliable and there are numerous reasons that could explain why we cannot be contacted via e-mail successfully, thus giving up after only attempting contact via e-mail is not acceptable. Failure to obtain a Return Authorization (RA) may result in the refusal of your return.
- Only standard, stock items, sizes colors, styles, and/or items not personalized in any way (items without insignia, names, numbers, artwork, and/or initials added by any means, or any other personalization) may be returned for refund or exchange. Stock items, sizes colors, and styles are defined as items that are in our stock inventory and do not require special ordering for you. Only regular fittings will be allowed for return, exchange and/or refund. Sizes that require special ordering including long or extra-long fittings produced by Eastman Leather Clothing, Ltd., trouser and/or jean sizes smaller than waist size 29, jacket and/or shirt sizes smaller than chest size 38/Medium will not be permitted for return, refund and/or exchange unless the item is damaged or faulty when received, or if the item was immediately on hand in our stock inventory. If you have any doubt as to whether your order is for a non-returnable item, please contact us before placing the order.
- Worn items and/or items that appear as if worn cannot be returned for exchange or refund. Excessive and/or careless trying on of any item, even if performed indoors, can produce the same effects as wearing an item outdoors, especially creases in the sleeves and soiling in the interior neck area from body oils and perspiration (trying on outerwear while wearing a high-collared shirt and/or neck-protecting drape or scarf is strongly advised and encouraged, especially if the garment being tried on has a cotton or nylon lining), and any item displaying characteristics that are similar or equal to wear will not be returnable for refund and/or exchange. Trying on shoes, jackets, gloves, etc., every day for long periods of time while indoors over the course of one’s 7-day inspection period can produce the same effects as wearing an item. Furthermore, the scent of perfumes, colognes, and/or other noticeable odors, such as cigarettes, cigars, pipe smoke, air fresheners, etc., will also be deemed as signs of wear that will render the item not returnable for refund and/or exchange. Any item sent for return that has any characteristic that precludes its resale again as a new item at full retail price will render that item non-returnable for refund or exchange, and return shipping to the customer will be at the customer’s expense. Carefully trying on items indoors for a reasonable period of time is acceptable and is not considered wearing an item as long as the return item conforms with the same characteristics as would reasonably be expected from a new, unworn item.
- Refunds will be less postage and insurance paid to receive the merchandise and any applicable re-stocking fees.
- Customers residing outside the USA who return items and who have paid taxes, fees and/or customs duty must address obtaining refunds for these fees, taxes and/or duties with their respective governments.
- We issue all credit card refund requests within 24 hours of receipt of returned merchandise and our merchant credit card bank dispatches these refunds within 2 business days to the respective cardholder's issuing bank; you will receive an e-mail from us indicating your refund has been processed once this has taken place. However, credit card refunds can take up to two billing cycles to appear on your credit card statement, which is due to a lack of uniformity in how credit card processing companies and banks handle and process refunds, in addition to varying fraud protections among differing banks; if you doubt the voracity of this, please consult your issuing credit card bank on this matter.
- Credit card purchases will have the purchase price refunded to the issuing bank account, less postage and insurance paid to receive the merchandise, as well as re-stocking fees amounting to 5% of the merchandise purchase price. This is made necessary due to the fact that credit card processing companies do NOT return to the Merchant the fees the Merchant pays for ANY sale, NOT even when a refund is made to the Cardholder, and we do NOT employ traditional retail markup rates for any of our products that would allow us to absorb these fees. We endeavor to keep our retail prices as low as possible and not have ALL of our customers subsidize the fees incurred for those who request a refund, which is precisely what the overwhelming majority of businesses do today.
- If paying by check or money order and you elect a refund, you will be refunded the entire amount of the merchandise purchase price and no re-stocking fees will apply, but shipping and insurance for you to receive the merchandise will not be refunded.
- Items received that are damaged and/or faulty in some reasonable way may be returned for exchange or refund even if the merchandise was Custom or Special Order, provided we approve this return in writing. Please contact us IMMEDIATELY if you believe you have received a damaged and/or faulty item.
- If the shipping address you provide does not match the data base of the shipping carrier we employ and we are charged an address-correction fee by the shipping carrier, you agree to promptly pay this fee upon being contacted by us.
- Since our first transaction in 1989, we have never had a credit or debit card chargeback successfully made against us except for issues involving genuine credit card fraud as perpetrated by criminals. If you are paying with the credit or debit card belonging to someone else, please be sure to get their permission to use the card and advise them of the purchase amount and our business name so there is no confusion when the billing statement arrives from the bank. If you have a matter of dispute or simply do not recognize a charge on your billing statement made by us, you must communicate with us to attempt to resolve any matters before filing a chargeback with the issuing credit or debit card bank. We are happily here to help you in any way we can and provide answers to any charge questions and work to resolve any misunderstandings, miscommunications, etc., but we need to know about such issues in order to help you. If you fail to first communicate with us before filing a chargeback, then we are entitled to recover the chargeback fee from you and you agree to pay this fee.
Our return policy bottom line: We'll take anything back that is not specifically ordered for a customer and is standard stock in style, color, item type, materials, construction and size, and not personalized in any way (not custom or special in any way and carried by us on a regular basis as stock goods) within the stated inspection period, as long as it is in the same new, salable condition it was sent out in and can be honestly resold again as a new item at full retail price. We take full responsibility for errors and omissions that are ours; we ask the same of our customers.
If exchanging a product for another, please insure the return for full value and include sufficient funds for the return shipping and insurance of the replacement. The cost of postage to send an exchange replacement item is not absorbed by us (unless we are at fault or the product is faulty) because we do not charge traditional retail profit markup in our product pricing that would allow for so-called "free" shipping on exchanges, thus we offer all our merchandise at prices lower than traditional retail markup provides and extend to each customer the lowest price we can offer while still remaining a viable company. We could charge more for our items, which would be in keeping with the standard retail pricing model, whereby the majority who do not need to make an exchange then subsidize the postage for exchanges made by the few via our additional profits, but such practices have not been our way since the first sale was conducted in 1989. There is infinitely little that is genuinely free and so-called "free" shipping and "free" returns are like corporate taxes - they are always paid for by the consumer, not the corporation!
Damage or loss of return items that the customer did not insure will be the customer’s liability and we will not exchange, refund or issue credit for shipments where we did not act as the shipper. If you paid by credit card, your credit card will automatically be billed for the return shipping & insurance of the replacement exchange item(s): THIS IS THE CUSTOMER'S RESPONSIBILITY.
Exchanges made necessary as a result of this company's error(s) and/or the error(s) of the manufacturer(s) will obviate the need for further shipping and insurance costs on the replacement item(s). We guarantee that which is objective: the size/dimensions of measure on any given item, but we do not guarantee the fit, which is subjective. If you are making a straight refund return with no replacement exchange item, then there is no further shipping & insurance cost incurred.
Customers exchanging or returning goods from countries outside the USA (includes APO addresses) must contact us for details of return, particularly the specific language to be employed on the customs declaration form for customs entry back into the USA.