"Tiger-Stripe” camouflage uniforms were developed in Southeast Asia in the early 1960’s and issued to military forces, most notably, special forces of the Army of the Republic of Viet-Nam (ARVN). When the U. S. Army began sending military advisors to assist the ARVN and its related government and other military forces, the U. S. Army had no camouflage uniforms of their own, thus they were given permission to wear the camouflage uniforms of the ARVN units to which they were attached or assigned. The style of trousers seen here became known as the "Advisor" pattern due to its early association with these personnel.
This “Advisor” pattern became the typical tiger-stripe camouflage uniform worn by U. S. forces, though the coloring of the camouflage and the shape and density of the camouflage pattern itself led to a multitude of varieties as identified by collectors today, one of the rarest and most desirable being the golden-hued pattern now called “Golden Tiger.”
“Advisor” jackets and trousers have been prominently featured in films depicting the war in Viet-Nam, the most notable include: “The Green Berets” with John Wayne, “The Deer Hunter” with Robert De Niro, and “Apocalypse Now” with Martin Sheen,” naming but a few. Eventually, the exotic nature of the “Tiger” camouflage and its association with elite Special Forces and personnel of authority, power, and those having seen combat, spawned a huge demand for even more tiger-stripe camo. uniforms, as anyone seen wearing this camo. pattern in “Nam” was considered “hot stuff." Today, vintage tiger-stripe camo. from the Viet-Nam war is very rare, highly collectible, and very costly to purchase, as well as being just plain cool looking, making a perfect summer-weight trouser for wear with tee shirts and sneakers.
Buzz Rickson’s, a brand highly respected worldwide for its pursuit of fanatical, penultimate authenticity, has recreated the “Advisor” trousers in the coveted “Golden Tiger” coloring. Never before has this camo. pattern been recreated to such an amazing degree of authenticity, including the employment of vintage shuttle looms to generate true selvage fabric as was used to fabricate the vintage sets in the 1960’s and early 1970’s, vintage-type dyes to craft the screen-printed colors and patterns of the camo. pattern, and vintage button dies to make genuine urea buttons that precisely match those typically encountered on the “Advisor” sets. And to preclude you from looking like some “FNG” who just purchased a set of “Tiger” camo. while in Ben Hoa, Buzz Rickson’s “Golden Tiger” comes in a one-wash finish, giving it a very slightly faded vintage appearance that deftly matches the coloring and overall “been-there” look observed on vintage sets.
Please note these authentic features and details found only on a genuine Buzz Rickson’s “Golden Tiger” “Advisor” trousers of this pedigree:
- Two two-button bellows butt and leg pockets
- Compass/lighter pocket on leg
- Bar tack reinforcements on all major stress points
- Double-stitched seams throughout
- Two-button tab at waist to allow for decreasing the waist size
- Custom manufacturing of genuine urea buttons produced on vintage dies that precisely match the size and shape of those observed on vintage “Advisor” jackets
- Custom manufacturing of all-cotton twill selvage fabric produced on the original, narrow shuttle looms of the type employed to produce this fabric in the 1960’s and 1970’s
- Base color of the fabric dyed to a shade of golden sand, precisely matching vintage examples of “Golden Tiger”
- Screen printing of one of the most typical tiger-stripe patterns to a high level of precision using vintage-type dyes to re-create the rare, highly desired “Golden Tiger” color shade, then washed once for a “been-there” look of an “In-Country” veteran
- Exact copy of the original-style printed-on-cotton size label sewn on the inside jacket closure
- “U S” ink stamping with the size, thus denoting a distinction between trousers of the same size but in a different size grade from those for Asian forces
Sizes available: Sm. - XL, fitting up to 38.5" waist measure. Please see our SIZING TIPS for advice on how to get the correct fit.
Buzz Rickson’s products are imported from Japan
Click for Information and Photos