This style is a one-time offering this year, last produced in 2012. This version we offer is made exclusively for the USA and Europe, having no name plate and wings on the left breast as does the production version for Japan.
Developed in the late 1930's as a summer flying jacket that could be worn on its own or in combination with a one-piece flying suit and helmet made from the same hard-wearing, corded-cotton fabric dyed in a light shade of olive drab that could span bronze, khaki-like, pea green, and gray-green shades, the 37-J-1 was widely issued to USN and USMC airmen at the time, and it could still be seen being worn into the very early days of WWII. The popularity of the 37-J-1 among naval aviators rested with its practical, good-looking design and the hard-wearing cotton fabric that was specifically developed for flying clothing; this is the same fabric that went into mass production in WWII for use in USN foul-weather suits from which the coveted "deck jackets" became omnipresent and and highly sought after. The 37-J-1 also featured prominently in the 1941 film "Dive Bomber", which starred Errol Flynn and Fred MacMurray. This was filmed in Technicolor and features a bounty of rare naval aircraft, uniforms, and flying gear; this is a must-see for all fans of naval aviation in the months just prior to WWII.
Today, the 37-J-1 is very much a collector's dream, being nearly impossible to source in nice condition and commanding some serious premiums if one is even fortunate enough to have the chance to make such a purchase. Buzz Rickson's brand is known for producing the hardwearing, corded-cotton fabric to amazing likeness in their various WWII USN "deck jackets," and now using this same fabric they have performed an absolutely superb job at recreating the 37-J-1 to clone-like standards. Please note these authentic features found only on the vintage original 37-J1 Flying Jackets and this Buzz Rickson's masterpiece:
• Exact copy of original USN contract label design woven on vintage shuttle looms
• Exact duplication of the original property mark “USN” stenciled in black above the left pocket
• Custom manufacturing of the correct, heavy, corded-cotton outer shell to precisely match USN specs. and dyed a light shade of khaki-like Olive Drab
• Custom manufacturing of the correct, lightweight, broadcloth-cotton lining d dyed a gray-green shade of light olive drab
• Exact copy of genuine urea buttons made on vintage dyes; urea is the only button type specified at the time
• Cotton-thread construction
• Custom manufacturing of the correct, two-ply, worsted-wool knit cuffs, collar, and waistband in gray-green Olive Drab
• Lacquered-metal grommet vents located in armpits
• Two-button closure on convertible collar
• Two external pockets with central gusset, button flap, and soft-cotton lining on pocket front
• Incredibly authentic reproduction of the early Hookless zipper with all-metal base riveted at zipper bottom for extra strength at this area of great stress
• Zipper pull fob made from jacket fabric and riveted in place
Sizes: 36-44. Please see our SIZING TIPS for advice on how to get the correct fit.
Buzz Rickson’s goods are imported from Japan
Click for Information and Photos