Sugar Cane vintage-style shirts are for those who can appreciate the myriad of nuances and character found in the finest single-malt scotch, the clearest, most colorless diamond or hand-crafted, centuries-old Persian rug. Nothing like this has been offered since the "good old days" of the 1940's when clothing had to last by necessity. One look and you will be immediately transported back to an era when America was the unquestioned king of goods synonymous with top quality and durability.
This is rugged and stylish American history at its best, and it is also going to look fabulous when worn because it is cut to flatter the body, unlike the ultra-loose styles so often encountered everywhere today. Tired of only having choices from what the big outfits and department stores have to offer? Ready for something that will make you the envy of anyone with a keen eye for a look of quality and distinction? This shirt is crafted from a robust cotton-twill fabric woven on vintage looms in a classic dobby twill and dyed with natural indigo, harkening back to the shirts of bygone days. The look is completed through assembly using all-cotton thread with contrasting red thread employed on the interior. Quantities are very limited.
Take note of these authentic features and details found only on a premium, vintage-style shirt of this pedigree:
- Placket-front closure
- Open-top pockets with bar tacked corners for extra strength
- Collar stand for crisper appearance
- Double-stitching and rolled seams
- Dyed with natural indigo
- Reinforced shoulder yoke for greater durability at this crucial abrasion area
- Custom manufacturing of vintage-style buttons in genuine urea
- Custom weaving of a cotton-twill dobby fabric
- Chain-stitch runoff with gusset at shirttail scallop edge
- Red all-cotton thread employed in sewing interior seams
- Exact copy of the original-style rayon-on-cotton labels
- True vintage fit for flattering appearance, not sloppy, relaxed fit with droopy shoulder seams
Sizes available: Med. - XL. This shirt has been through an industrial wash and shrinkage should be zero. Please see our SIZING TIPS for advice on how to get the correct fit.
Imported from Japan
Sugar Cane Indigo-Dyed Dobby Shirt
About this Style: We assume this shirt will be worn with an undershirt, thus further subtracting from the available space within the shirt body. This shirt is produced from robust fabric that is very comfortable for wear in most climates in three seasons. The cut is vintage trim, thus a size Medium in this style will comfortably accommodate a chest measure no larger than approximately 40” and the size XL will accommodate a chest measure no larger than 44".
Tip 1: Follow the instructions entitled “How to Use Product Measures to Obtain a Good Fit” listed under the PRODUCT MEASUREMENTS tab for this product. After finding no substantive conflicts with your body measures obtained from the tab entitled BODY MEASURING, order this garment with 2" - 3” of room in excess of your chest circumference measure if you prefer a trim-but-comfortable fit. Ordering a shirt with only 1.5” of room in excess of your chest measure is only for those who are extremely lean and desire a very, very trim fit. If you prefer a roomier or longer fit, then order the next available size after reviewing all relative measures that pertain to that size.
Tip 2: Please note that your chest circumference measure is not necessarily the labeled size you wear in another garment you may own from a different maker or even the same maker, so please take the time to obtain your true chest circumference measure so as to compare to our chart of measures; this will enable us to perform a better job getting you the right size and minimize your chances in having to deal with the hassle and cost of exchanges.
Please ask us for fitting advice if in doubt.
Tip 3: Individuals who prefer looser fits and/or those with a waist measure that is nearly equal to or greater than their chest circumference measure may jump up one size in this shirt for comfort and desired fit (when we refer to waist measure we do not mean your trouser size; we mean the actual circumference measure of your waistline at its widest point). If you are unsure of the size to order we will assist you; please contact us with the following information: Height, waist circumference measure, chest circumference measure, body weight, and type of clothing to be worn beneath the shirt most of the time, as well as the type of fit you prefer: Trim, roomy or oversized.
Sugar Cane Indigo-Dyed Dobby Shirt
The following table provides actual product measures. These measures are provided as an aid because, in conjunction with the information found under the SIZING TIPS tab for each product, they can sometimes be very useful when comparing the measurements from this garment to the measures of your body; however, acting as an armchair tailor should be done with caution, as well as with knowledge of other important areas of fit that are not displayed here. Armchair tailors frequently fail to take into account other significant elements that impact fit; following the information found under the SIZING TIPS tab for each garment on this web site is strongly suggested, which can be very useful in supplanting or supplementing the listed measures below.
Our measures were derived from averaging many garments of the same size from each specific size in the range of any given product, thus the measures provided are representative for each size but they may not be exactly what you will receive. Some fluctuation in size is normal and to be expected, especially in these garments that have been manufactured on vintage machinery using natural fibers; the vintage machinery and techniques that create sought-after looks and fabrics are also less precise than machines contemporary to the current era.
|Size||Sm 14½||Med 15½||Lg 16½||XL 17½|
How to Use the Product Measures to Obtain a Good Fit:
1) Using the measurements listed for this product and information found under the tab entitled MEASURING GARMENTS to understand our measuring technique, please double the chest measure to obtain the total external chest circumference of this garment. For example: If the chest measure listed for size Large is 22”, doubling this measure yields a 44” external chest circumference.
2) Measure your chest circumference as per the tab on this web site specifically addressing BODY MEASURING, then compare your chest measure to the chest measure of this product.
3) Many garments are cut in such a way that the wearer requires no less than 2” of room in the shirt for a sleek fit that is also comfortable, while other shirts styles require the wearer to have more than 6” of room. If your chest circumference is 42”, a product with a 22” chest width has a 44” external chest circumference and would provide 2” of external room in this scenario (chest measures 42”, external chest measure of shirt is 44”, thus 2” of external room would be realized).
4) Again, using the measurements listed for this product and information under the MEASURING GARMENTS tab to understand our measuring technique, add half of the shoulder width to the arm length. For example: If the shoulder width is 17.5” and the arm length is 24.5”, adding 8.75” (half the shoulder width) to 24.5” (the arm length) will yield an overall sleeve length of 33.25” in this product.
5) Measure your overall sleeve length following the instructions on this web site under the tab specifically addressing BODY MEASURING, then compare your overall sleeve length to this product.
6) If desired, repeat the measuring comparisons for back length.
7) Compare your body measures to the listed garment measures and follow the advice found under the SIZING TIPS tab to obtain a good fit.
IMPORTANT: Because you need room in a garment for comfort, garments with a 44” chest circumference are NOT a size 44, nor are they intended for anyone with a 44” chest circumference. Tee shirts and thermal shirts tend to have the most body-hugging fits of our product offerings because these were originally intended to be undergarments, thus these can be ordered to stretch to fit if that is how you wish to wear such garments. Other shirts, sweatshirts, sweaters, jackets, etc. will all have some amount of room incorporated in their designs, thus these will all measure larger than your actual chest measure by varying degrees.
Sometimes-Problematic Way to Determine a Good Fit:
Due to differences in how even near-identical garments are cut by different manufacturers, it is not necessarily a good idea to compare the listed measures of this product to the measures of an existing, similar product in your wardrobe to determine the correct size to order in this product. Though such comparisons can indeed work some of the time, and maybe even most of the time, vast experience with and knowledge of the products we market has proven such practices will sometimes fail. This inaccurate measuring methodology doesn't factor in other key variables of fit relative to you and the garment that includes: Armhole opening, shoulder slope, high-point shoulder, high chest, width of sleeves at all points including the all-important elbow, waist measure, and the thickness, plumpness, and rigidity of the material the garment is made from, naming just some variables influencing fit that do not appear on any list of measurements for a garment or that a customer is likely to account for.
It is best to compare your actual body measures to the listed measures of this product AND follow our advice listed under the SIZING TIPS tab specific to this product to obtain a good fit in this style.
A Good Fit:
This is highly subjective - what one person may think is too big, another may think fits perfectly. Some garments are cut quite generously and others are cut quite trimly. If comparing measurements of one of our products to another you may own, some individuals will surely find that none or maybe only one area of measure is commonly shared or remotely close to being the same. Ultimately, chest measure is the most important area to properly fit, then all other areas of measure will have to fall into place. And some individuals who are extremely tall may find that body and/or sleeve length are more important to accommodate than even chest measure.
We strive to create a crisp fit between our products and the customer, and not a loose, sloppy look. If you prefer your clothing to fit more loosely, then we will do our best to work with you to that end, though, by the very nature of our product designs and fits it may not be possible to duplicate the slack looks found in many mainstream clothing brands even if you go up one or two sizes in our products.